Safer sex: condoms/lubricant. Broken condom
It is possible that the condom breaks or slips off during sex. An accident or broken condom is very annoying. Stay calm and don’t panic.
Here are some possible causes of condom failure:
- You don’t use enough or any lubricant.
- You use a lubricant that is not suitable and contains grease or oil, e.g. massage oil.
- Something goes wrong when you put the condom on: you damage it with your nail, air in the tip or the condom is not unrolled far enough.
- The condom has dried out after a long fucking session and you haven’t added any extra lubricant. Use a new condom and lubricant if sex takes longer than fifteen minutes.
- You use poor quality condoms.
- The condom is past its expiry date.
- The condom was not kept correctly, so that the packet is damaged. Just a small hole in the packet is enough to make a condom unusable.
The risk of catching HIV or an STI after a broken condom can’t be calculated in percentages. It depends on several circumstances:
- Whether your sexpartner has HIV or an STI
- The place where the condom has broken (the top or the base)
- The moment it broke (when you started having sex or only at the end)
- Whether or not you withdrew immediately (the longer the unprotected contact lasts, the more you are at risk)
- how much contaminated fluid enters or touches your body?
- how high is the level of viruses or bacteria in the fluid?
- how good is your own immune system?
After a bursted or slipped off condom, get tested on STI/HIV.